Next Meeting


Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Few Other Layouts

I couldn't sleep last night, and so I thought I'd play around with the quilt design. It occurred to me (after having sewn together the entire lower leftmost block) that the strip placement can get confusing when doing a block this size and if the 1/4" seams aren't consistent, it could make piecing the top pretty difficult. So I came up with a way to incorporate that full block with a number of smaller blocks made with the same strips. Here are a few examples: (Note, the blocks are not square, as this was just  playing around with some photos and not drawn to scale.)
Quilt #1 variation with random stripes

Quilt variation #2 with larger, more lumpy stripes.

Quilt variation #3, using the diamond motifs.

Quilt variation #4, with more even stripes.
In playing, I found I liked the teal as sashing. The pink was just not enough contrast. The teal color and smaller blocks seemed to calm things down a bit. We don't have teal fabric, but I would be willing to donate some if the group likes it. Or maybe someone else has another idea. I'll try to have a design wall so that we can play a bit on Thursday.

See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment